Friday, August 26, 2005

Differences

I have such a broad circle of friends. I myself am a member of a Mennonite church but I have a close friend who is professing Lutheran -- born, baptized and raised in it. The daughter of a Lutheran minister. Back in the times of Reformation, her people killed my people. Yet today, Jessica and I get along just great. The base of our conversations are on spiritual matters and how we can encourage and pray for each other.

I have another friend who has turned from the Anabaptist faith (so-to-speak) to some extent and technically, I'm sure some Mennonites would feel it was their godly obligation to shun Becky. Hmmmm. I guess, her and I get along just fine these days and our talks together are usually all about what God is teaching us and leading us into.

My maternal Grandmother is a Baptist. My paternal Grandmother is a Catholic. Neither one has reported our differences to their church authorities. My husband's Grandfather was a Pentecostal preacher and they still attend a charismatic church.

My parents are Anabaptist misfits, for lack of a better definition. They have adhered to many teachings of the early Anabaptists but also many of the new testament teachings. They're kind of a Heinz 57 if you want to get into naming the distinct breeds of denominations.

My husbands parents are first generation Anabaptists. They hold to all Anabaptist teachings but have based themselves soley on the Word of God and do not feel its God's will to be governed by rules and regulations. A lot like my parents only they're missionaries sent out under our church so their freedom is limited to the leaders of our church.

I wrote all this to say that I'm surrounded by people that think, talk, believe and act different then me. Only my husband and I are 100% agreeable on everything. And even in our total compatibility, there is one issue we both have different view points of. More on that later.

Anyway, because of all our vast differences, I think God has given me a taste of what Heaven will be like while I'm on earth....

"From every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne..."

I do not believe that everyone going to Heaven will believe the same on everything. The only thing I believe we need to agree on is the basis of our faith: that we are SAVED BY AND THROUGH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST ALONE.

No comments: